Beef Chow Mein Recipe
Popular Chinese dish stir fried beef and noodles
Beef Chow Mein with Brown Stir Fry Sauce Recipe
A delicious famous Chinese restaurant recipe of beef stir fried with onions, cellery, bell peppers and tossed with noodles in a brown stir fry sauce.
Foodservice Serving Size
3 C. Brown Stir Fry Sauce (Gluten free Starport 214)
1.5 lb. Beef, sliced, marinated and velvetized (see instructions below)
3 C. Cabbage, shredded and/or bean sprouts
3 lbs. Egg noodles, fresh or dried, Asian style
½ C. Oil
1 C. Onions, sliced ¼”
1 C. Celery, bias sliced ¼”
½ C. Red bell peppers, sliced ¼”x2”
½ C. Cilantro or green onions, chopped (garnish)
2 Tbsp. Garlic Ginger Infusion
Other delicious Starport sauces for this recipe: Garlic Sesame Sauce(Starport 209), Classic Wok Sauce (Starport 250), Spicy Orange Sauce (Gluten Free Starport 127), General Kung Pao Sauce (Gluten Free Starport 345), Spicy Szechuan Sauce (Starport 322) and XOX Teriyaki Sauce (Starport 217)
1. Marinate and velvetize beef and set aside (see below).
2. Cook noodles per manufacturer’s instructions and set aside.
3. Cut vegetables and set aside
4. Heat griddle (or wok), when hot, add oil, onions, red bell pepper, celery and Garlic Ginger Infusion. Before stirring, let vegetables sear about 30 seconds.
5. Add velvetized beef and sear for 45 seconds, then add cabbage and noodles. Toss all ingredients and sauté for 3 minutes.
6. Add in Brown Stir Fry Sauce, stir until steaming hot and remove.
7. Garnish with cilantro or green onions.
Meat Marinade and Velvetization:
1. To marinate: For 10 lbs. sliced, ground or diced meat, dissolve 0.4 lb. (7/8 C.) Marinade Seasoning (Gluten Free Starport 356) with 1-1/4 C. water and mix in 1 C. oil.
2. Mix well then add meat and marinate for 30 minutes or more. May be covered in a container and refrigerate overnight.
3. To velvetize: Oil blanch meat in deep fryer at 350 F in 2-pound batches for 60-80 seconds, un-clump the meat pieces, remove and drain off oil.
(Oil blanching seals the juice in the sliced meat surfaces and can be quickly reheated in the wok or griddle make cook-to-order fast.)
4. When cool, place in covered container and refrigerate, use as needed. Make batch daily.
Garlic and Ginger Infusion Mixture – Adds an extra authentic flavor and aroma to the dish
1. Mince and mix 2 parts of garlic with one part of ginger by weight.
2. Place mixture in a pot and add enough vegetable oil to cover the garlic and ginger.
3. Heat mixture at low heat until boil for about three minutes, place in a close container and refrigerate when cool.
4. Keep unused portion refrigerated, make fresh batch once a week.