Classic Egg Foo Young Recipe
A classic Chinese restaurant omelette with ground meat and bean sprouts
Chinese Restaurant Classic Egg Foo Young Recipe
An all day breakfast menu item in Chinese restaurant that is worth revisiting. Delicious scrambled eggs with ground meat, onions, cellery, bell peppers, mushrooms and bean sproutes topped with an aromatic Garlic Sesame Sauce.
Note: This can become a gluten free recipe by using "Starport Gluten Free Sauces" for topping.
Serves 30 (4 oz. Egg Foo Young/serving)
3¾ C. Garlic Sesame Sauce (Starport 209) Serve 2 Tbsp. per Egg Foo Young
3 lbs. Ground Pork or Ground Chicken
3 Tbsp. Marinade Seasoning (Gluten Free Starport 356)
3 Tbsp. Water for marinade
8 oz. Celery, thinly sliced (4⅓ C.)
8 oz. White mushrooms, sliced
2 lbs. Bean sprouts
8 oz. Onions, sliced
8 oz. Red bell peppers, sliced
2.7 lbs. Eggs, scrambled
1 C. Vegetable oil
Other delicious Starport sauce for this recipe's topping: Brown Stir Fry Sauce (Gluten Free Starport 209), Classic Wok Sauce (Starport 250), Spicy Orange Sauce (Gluten Free Starport 127), General Kung Pao Sauce (Gluten Free Starport 345), Spicy Szechuan Sauce (Starport 322) and XOX Teriyaki Sauce (Starport 217)Instructions:
1. Dissolve 3 Tbsp. Marinade Seasoning with 3 Tbsp. water then mix in ¼ C. oil, stir mix well and marinate ground pork or chicken for at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat wok, add 2 Tbsp. oil, add marinated chicken or pork, stir, and brown for 10-12 minutes until done. Remove and spread out on sheet pan to cool.
3. Heat water to boil in wok or large pot, first boil celery and bean sprouts until sprouts are softened 3-5 minutes, remove and drain. Next boil mushrooms, onions and red bell peppers 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are softened, remove, rinse in cold water and drain.
4. Combine all vegetables and rinse in cold water and gently press out excess water.
5. Combine cooled sautéed meat and vegetables and stir ingredients into scrambled eggs.
6. Heat wok or griddle on medium heat, when hot, add oil and ladle 4 oz. (½ C.) egg mixture onto wok and form a ½” thick about 4” diameter pancake. Flip over when Egg Foo Young is browned on one side, similar to cooking pancakes. Cook until eggs are done, about a minute.
7. Place Egg Foo Young on steam-table pan, pour on Garlic Sesame Sauceand garnish with green onions.
8. Place extra Garlic Sesame Sauce on side with a 2 oz. ladle for customer self-serve. A great breakfast dish.
Ground meat may be substituted with bacon bits, diced ham or shredded cooked meat.