Thai Tom Yum Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Authentic Thai Tom Yum Hot and Sour Soup - Gluten Free
Gluten free Thai Tom Yum Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
A hearty well balanced hot and sour broth from concentrate with coconut milk, shrimp, okras, tomatoes and lemongrass.
Ingredients: Family Serving
½ C. Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate (Starport 164 Gluten Free)
4 C. Water
5 oz. Prawns, shelled and butterflied (31/40 count, 12 prawns)
1 Can Coconut milk, 13.5 fl. oz. about 1¾ C.
2 oz. Shiitake mushrooms, sliced (rehydrated from dried or fresh)
2 ea. Okra, sliced round ¼” (1.3 oz.) (optional)
2 ea. Tomatoes, medium, cut in 1” chunks (6.5 oz.)
1 oz. Wood ear mushrooms, re-hydrated or fresh julienne (optional)
2 Tbsp. Cilantro stems, chopped 1/8”
2 stalks Lemongrass, tender white, thin rings
1 ea. Lime, wedges or slices
1 Tbsp. Fish sauce, gluten free (adjust to taste)
1 sprig Thai basil for garnish
5 sprigs Cilantro, chopped for garnish
1. Cut and discard the top green tough part of the lemongrass, then peel and remove tough outer layers of the head until the white tender layer appears. Use only the white tender part of lemongrass and slice into very thin 1/16” rings.
2. Soak the dried shiitake and wood ear mushroomsthem in water for at least 2 hours or overnight until fully expanded. Rinse and squeeze out excess water then slice into strips.
3. Boil mushrooms about 5 minutes until tender, drain and set aside. (Both mushrooms may be substituted with canned straw mushrooms.)
4. Shell, clean and butterfly prawns, and set aside.
5. Add both shiitake and wood ear mushrooms into a large pot with 4 C. of water and bring to a boil at medium high heat.
6. Add in shrimp, okra, lemongrass, tomatoes and cilantro stems and bring to a boil.
7. Add in coconut milk, reduce heat to medium and cook about 2 minutes.
8. Skim off foamy layer, and add in 1 Tbsp. fish sauce and ½ C. Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate.
9. When soup boils again skim off foamy layer, remove from heat and serve.
10. Note: over-cooking Hot and Sour Concentrate reduces the sourness of the vinegar. Adjust final flavor level with more water or Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate as needed.
11. Serve and garnish with cilantro and lime slice or wedge.
Dried wood ear mushrooms yields 6x dried weight when rehydrated.
Dried Shiitake mushrooms yields 4x dried weight when rehydrated.