Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Authentic Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup - Gluten Free
Gluten Free Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
A nutritious well balanced hot and sour broth from concentrate with tofu, wood ear mushrooms, strew mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
Ingredients: Family Serving
½ C. Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate (Starport 164 Gluten Free)
5 C. Water 8 oz. Tofu, firm, drained and diced ¼”
1 oz. Wood ear mushrooms, sliced (hydrated weight)
6 oz. Straw mushrooms, canned Cut in half lengthwise
3 oz. Bamboo shoots, sliced 1/8” match sticks
1½ Tbsp. Cornstarch mixed with 1½ Tbsp. water
½ C. Green onions, chopped for garnish
½ C. Cilantro, chopped for garnish
1. Soak wood ear mushrooms in warm water about an hour or more until fully re-hydrated. (may be substituted with fresh white or shiitake mushrooms)
2. Slice re-hydrated wood ear mushrooms then boil about 5 minutes until tender, drain and set aside.
3. Dice firm tofu to ¼” cubes. (Cut tofu slab into eight ¼” slices. Cut each slice into three lengthwise strips. Cut each strip into eight cubes.)
4. Slice bamboo shoots into matchsticks.
5. Mix 1½ Tbsp. cornstarch with 1 ½ Tbsp. water and set aside.
6. Add 5 C. water in a large pot then add in wood ear mushrooms, straw mushrooms and bamboo shoots and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
7. Stir cornstarch mixture and slowly add into pot, stirring constantly until thickened. (Corn starch mixture quantity may be varied to gain desired consistency)
8. Add in diced tofu and stir gently until boiling.
9. Add in the Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate and remove from heat as soon as the soup comes to a boil. (Over-cooking Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate reduces the sourness of the vinegar).
10. Option: More water or Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate may be added to soup to adjust desired hot and sour flavor.
11. Garnish with green onions, cilantro, and serve.
Optional: For authentic Hunan style, add in 1 oz. of rehydrated lily buds.
Dried wood ears yields 6x dried weight when rehydrated.