Vietnamese Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Authentic Vietnamese Hot and Sour Soup - Gluten Free
Gluten Free Canh Chua Vietnamese Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
A hearty well balanced hot and sour broth from concentrate with shrimp, okras, tomatoes and pineapple.
Ingredients: Family Serving
½ C. Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate (Starport 164 Gluten Free)
5 C. Water
5 oz. Prawns, shelled and butterflied (31/40 count, 12 prawns)
4 ea. Okra, sliced round ¼” (2.5 oz.)
2 ea. Tomatoes, medium, cut in 1” chunks (6.5 oz.)
4 oz. Pineapple, sliced 1”x ¼” (fresh or canned)
2 Tbsp. Cilantro stems, chopped 1/8”
1 stalk Lemongrass
1 ea. Lime, wedges or slices
1 Tbsp. Fish sauce, gluten free (adjust to taste)
5 sprigs Cilantro, chopped for garnish
1. Slice off the very bottom of the woody part of the Lemongrass stalk, then peel and remove tough outer layers until the white tender layer appears.
2. Use only the white tender part of lemongrass and slice into very thin 1/16” rings.
3. Shell, clean and butterfly prawns and set aside.
4. Add prawns, lemongrass and okra to 5 C. of water in a large pot and bring to a boil at medium high heat.
5. Add in tomatoes and pineapple, bring to a boil and skim off foamy layer.
6. Add in 1 Tbsp. fish sauce, sliced cilantro stems and ½ C. Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate.
7. When soup boils again skim off foamy layer, remove from heat and serve.
8. Over-cooking Hot and Sour Concentrate reduces the sourness of the vinegar.
9. Adjust final flavor level with addition of more water or Hot and Sour Concentrate if needed.
10. Serve and garnish with cilantro and lime slice or wedge.