Hunan Hot and Sour Soup classic Recipe
Authentic Hunan Hot and Sour Soup - Gluten Free
Gluten Free Hunan Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
A hearty well balanced hot and sour broth from concentrate with strips of tender pork, tofu, fried egg, shiitake mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
½ C. Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate (Starport 164 Gluten Free)
5 C. Water
6 oz. Pork strips, marinated, 1/8”x1/8”x 1”
2 oz. Mushrooms, sliced (Shiitake or white)
4 oz. Tofu, firm, drained and diced ¼”
3 oz. Bamboo shoots, sliced 1/8” match sticks
1 ea. Egg, raw, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp. Oil for sautéing meat.
1½ Tbsp. Cornstarch mixed with 1½ Tbsp. water
½ C. Green onions, chopped for garnish
Pork may be substituted with ground meat, chicken, shrimp, and imitation or fresh crabmeat. For vegetarian version: Omit meat, crabmeat and egg and add more tofu or mushrooms.
1. Dissolve 1/2 Tbsp. Marinade Seasoning with 1/2 Tbsp. of water then add in 1/2 Tbsp. oil and marinate meat for an hour or more.
2. Dice firm tofu to ¼” cubes. (Cut tofu slab into eight ¼” slices. Cut each slice into three lengthwise strips. Cut each strip into eight cubes.)
3. Slice mushrooms, and cut bamboo shoots into matchsticks.
4. Slightly beat egg and set aside.
5. Mix 1½ Tbsp. cornstarch with 1 ½ Tbsp. water and set aside.
6. Measure 5 C. water and set aside.
7. Heat wok or large pot on medium high heat, add oil then pork strips and sauté about three minutes, then add in 5 C. water, stir and bring to a boil.
8. Add in sliced mushrooms, diced tofu and bamboo shoots, stir gently and cook until boiling.
9. Stir cornstarch mixture and slowly add into pot, stirring constantly.
10. Slowly pour in egg into soup in a stream. Gently stir soup in one direction when egg forms into a cloud. (Stirring while adding in scrambled egg will break up the eggs too much and make the soup cloudy).
11. Add in the Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate and remove from heat as soon as the soup comes to a boil. (Over-cooking Hot and Sour Soup Concentrate reduces the sourness of the vinegar).
12. Option: more water may be added to soup to adjust desired hot and sour flavor.
13. Garnish with green onions and serve.