Mu Shu Pork Recipe with hoisin and garlic sesame sauces
A favorite Cantonese recipe of sliced pork with Hoisin and wok sauce
Mu Shu Pork Recipe
Note: Changing the wrapper from flour tortillas to rice paper will make this recipe a gluten free recipe.
Ingredients: Single Serving (3 wraps/serving)
¼ C. Classic Wok Sauce (Starport 250)
¼ C. Classic Hoisin Sauce (Gluten Free Starport 128)
2 Tbsp. Corn oil
6 oz. Marinated and velvetized pork strips, may use chicken instead
1 ea. Stalk Green onion, 2” long
1 ea. Egg, scrambled
4 oz. Cabbage shredded (1-1/4 C.)
¼ C. Bamboo shoot shredded
¾ C. Shiitake mushroom, fresh, thin slices
3 ea. Flour tortillas or rice paper
1. Slice pork or chicken into thin strips, ⅛” x 2” long, marinate and velvetize as shown below.
2. Marinated and velvetized meat may be portioned and refrigerated until order, then follow the instruction below.
3. Heat a wok at high heat, add 1 Tbsp. oil, then beaten egg. Stir and remove when cooked and chop into small pieces (this can be done ahead of time and refrigerated).
4. Add oil to hot wok and sear the pork about 30 seconds, and then add in cabbage, bamboo shoot, and mushrooms. Stir-fry until cabbage is slightly wilted, then add in cooked egg and green onions.
5. Add in Classic Hoisin Sauce and Classic Wok Sauce stir-fry another 30 seconds until steaming hot.
6. Remove and serve with warm tortilla or rice paper.
Meat Marinade and Velvetization:
1. To marinate: For 10 lbs. sliced or diced meat, dissolve 0.4 lb. (7/8 C.) Marinade Seasoning (Gluten Free Starport 356) with 1-1/4 C. water and 1 C. oil.
2. Mix well then add meat and marinate for 30 minutes or more. May be covered in a container and refrigerate overnight.
3. To velvetize: Oil blanch meat in deep fryer at 350 F in 2-pound batches for 60-80 seconds, un-clump the meat pieces, remove and drain off oil.
(Oil blanching seals the juice in the sliced meat surfaces and can be quickly reheated in the wok or griddle make cook-to-order fast.)
4. When cool, place in covered container and refrigerate, use as needed. Make batch daily.